[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] STF 2025

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Jun 3 21:18:13 EEST 2024

Le maanantaina 3. kesäkuuta 2024, 20.48.08 EEST Cosmin Stejerean via ffmpeg-
devel a écrit :
> >> What was cost-problematic about NAB? As far as I know it cost ffmpeg $0.
> >> It would be hard for IBC to be less cost-problematic than that.
> >

> > Booth setup is notoriously expensive due to local regulations. This was
> > already mentioned on the list earlier, and no explanations were given how
> > this would be funded.
>
> The basic booth package that was donated includes a simple booth with a
> table and two chairs. Thilo brought a banner and a table cloth. I donated a
> power strip and a case of water for the people at the booth. That was the
> extent of the booth setup, there were no costs.

This is news. Why was that plan not communicated when the question was raised
on this mailing list after the announcement of the NAB sponsorship?

> > Well in hindsight, based on what was reported by NAB attendees, I surmise
> > that the setup wasn't done nor funded at all and the booth was FFmpeg in
> > name only. (That sounds like embezzlement to me but that is not really
> > our problem, I guess.)
>
> What do you mean by setup wasn't done or funded and the booth was FFmpeg in
> name only?

GPAC self reported on using the FFmpeg booth at NAB:
https://x.com/JanetGrecoBP/status/1773342135514779700

Devin even reported on this very list that there were *only* GPAC people:
https://ffmpeg.org//pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2024-April/325765.html

If there were at least three of you, then why did you not reply to Devin back
then and why did you not arrange to keep at least one person on the booth
while the other went eating?

> An accusation of embezzlement sounds serious.

If as she herself alleged, Mrs Janet Greco used the FFmpeg booth for her or
her employer's commercial interest, then that is embezzlement by the
dictionary definition: the IBC booth funding that Thilo secured from the
anonymous sponsor for FFmpeg would instead have been used by those third
parties.

IANAL, so I won't comment if this meets the legal definition.

--
レミ・デニ-クールモン
http://www.remlab.net/