[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 7.0 blocking issues

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Jun 4 09:31:38 EEST 2024

Le 4 juin 2024 00:41:03 GMT+03:00, James Almer <jamrial at gmail.com> a écrit :
>Well, no. Breakages are expected when you remove API. The real question is why so many projects wait until the old API is gone to migrate. What we removed in 7.0 has had its replacement in place for a couple years, since 5.1.

Because nobody cares to fix it until it breaks.

Before that it takes a long time for the breakage to be visible since most down-stream projects get FFmpeg as a pinned vendored release and/or from stable Linux distros.

And then you have projects that are dead or in a never-ending release cycle due to their own reasons (VLC...), holding back any stable release source update.