[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] STF 2025

Andrew Sayers ffmpeg-devel at pileofstuff.org
Tue Jun 4 18:04:03 EEST 2024

On Fri, May 17, 2024 at 03:49:58PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Before this is forgotten again, better start some dicsussion too early than too late

Unless there's a better place to put these, I plan to reply to this message
whenever I notice someone bring up something that seems relevant.
Hopefully it will be a good reference if and when the time comes.

Sebastian Ramacher recently said this in another thread[1]:

> Maintainers and developers of reverse dependencies repeatedly ask for
> upgrade guides that go beyond "use this function instead"

This strikes me as an excellent bit of boring-but-important STF work.
The bug reports in that e-mail make it relatively easy to quantify impact -
measure the number of breakages in each revision, make a chart of numbers
over time, agree a target number for next time.

[1] https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2024-June/328852.html