[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] STF 2025

Cosmin Stejerean cosmin at cosmin.at
Tue Jun 4 18:47:12 EEST 2024

> On Jun 3, 2024, at 11:53 PM, Vittorio Giovara <vittorio.giovara at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 3:01 AM Cosmin Stejerean via ffmpeg-devel <
> ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org> wrote:
>
>>> Reposting my question/comment here since Thilo hasn't had a chance to
>>> respond, but shouldn't these kinds of requests go through the GA? If
>>> anybody can do whatever they want with the ffmpeg name, then what's the
>>> point of voting and following the established process?
>>
>> Probably? I'm not actually sure what the process is for getting an FFmpeg
>> booth at a conference. Is there a documented process somewhere for how this
>> should be done? If not this might be a good opportunity to create one.
>>

> Agreed, do you have a draft you could share as a base of discussion? Once
> defined, we could have the GA vote on it

If you really want to work on a proposal I'm happy to collaborate with you offline to draft something and then propose it to the GA.

>> It might also make for a good topic of discussion at VDD. For how much
>> drama there was about NAB on the list I was surprised there was zero
>> discussion about it at FOSDEM.
>>

> There were probably more important topics to discuss and the lingering hope
> that the problematic points would have been handled better than by calling
> people trolls

Perhaps. Shall we set something up at VDD? I think in person discussion can go a long way to avoid the kind of miscommunication that can happen over email.

> I don't think anybody is suggesting that booths are cost-problematic, but
> rather they are lacking in process (one shouldn't allowed use ffmpeg name
> "just because") and in scope (aka "the why" and what kind of results are
> expected by investing time in said booth)

My part of this thread started by responding to "IBC is probably not as (cost-)problematic as NAB, w.r.t. setting up the booth or transportation".

- Cosmin