[FFmpeg-devel] remove DEC Alpha DSP & support code

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Tue Jun 11 12:35:50 EEST 2024

On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 03:56:46PM +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> Le 10 juin 2024 14:57:29 GMT+03:00, Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc> a écrit :
> >Also we have alpha fate clients:
> >https://fate.ffmpeg.org/?query=subarch:alpha%2F%2F
>
> Are there? I only see Ubuntu 22.04 builds which must be cross-compiled since Ubuntu 22.04 doesn't support DEC Alpha, not even as a port.
>
> So I guess the tests are run on user-mode QEMU? For the sake of the argument and to answer your performance question, SIMD on QEMU is in my experience much *slower* than scalar C, due to limitations of TCG. So if that's the goal post, then removing the optimisations is actually a performance win.

My performance question was not related to the fate clients. (though they could be affected too)
As i wrote "(this allows users to judge if they want to stay on a old ffmpeg with these optimizations or upgrade)"

The fate clients are not real users nor am i

thx

Asymptotically faster algorithms should always be preferred if you have
asymptotical amounts of data