[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC]] swscale modernization proposal

Vittorio Giovara vittorio.giovara at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 17:44:33 EEST 2024

On Sun, Jun 23, 2024 at 7:57 PM James Almer <jamrial at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/22/2024 7:19 PM, Vittorio Giovara wrote:
> > Needless to say I support the plan of renaming the library so that it can
> > be inline with the other libraries names, and the use of a separate
> header
> > since downstream applications will need to update a lot to use the new
> > library (or the new apis in the existing library) and/or we could
> provide a
> > thin conversion layer when the new lib is finalized.
>
> I don't quite agree with renaming it. As Michael already pointed out,
> the av prefix wouldn't fit a scaling library nor a resampling one, as
> they only handle one or the other.

by that reasoning we should ban all subtitles from all the libraries

av is a shorthand of multimedia and many people in the industry refer to
ffmpeg libs as "libav*" so it feels a bit odd to push for preserving an
alternative name

> There's also the precedent of avresample, which was ultimately dropped
> in favor of swresample, so trying to replace swscale with a new avscale
> library will be both confusing and going against what was already
> established.

it's still 4 libraries vs 2... and swr/avr is shrouded in bad history that
is not worth bringing up

I'd understand opposing a rename just for the sake of renaming, but this is
essentially a new library, i see no value in preserving the old naming
scheme, if not making downstream life worse :x
--
Vittorio