[FFmpeg-trac] #10444(ffmpeg:new): Please implement VAAPI encoding enhancement for AMD / radeonsi (from MESA 22.3)

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Thu Jan 25 17:32:20 EET 2024

#10444: Please implement VAAPI encoding enhancement for AMD / radeonsi (from MESA
22.3)
             Reporter:  Robert       |                    Owner:  (none)
  Horstmann                          |
                 Type:  enhancement  |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:               |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0            |
Comment (by Robert Horstmann):

 I also found it very difficult to find out if the compression_level
 setting actually did something or not.

 There was no usable debug output, so I tried different settings for
 compression_level for a specific video file and compared the "frames per
 second" during the encoding.

 Assuming that turning those options on, magically, via compression_level
 causes a slowdown of the encoding process (as it should improve quality at
 the expense of speed), I saw that using"-compression_level 15" was slower
 than other values.

 It was just trial and error, honestly, and I have no way to confirm for
 sure that "15" is a reasonable setting to activate vbaq etc.

 We are flying blind here ;-)

 Compared to NVENC or Quicksync, VAAPI on FFMpeg is rather disappointing,
 in terms of options and documentation :-(

 And it seems to get little to no attention from the Devs, according to the
 number of recent commits.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/10444#comment:11>
FFmpeg <https://ffmpeg.org>