[FFmpeg-user] ordering of default codec?

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 00:30:45 CEST 2012

I've noticed that ffmpeg puts codec "priority" (if you can call it
that) in a slightly different order than I'd like it.
for instance
$ ffmpeg -i yo.mpg -c:v libx264 -an nul.mp4

encodes by default to aac.
If I have both libfaac and libfdk-aac, it chooses the "default" as
libfaac, even though it seems to me like libfdk-aac would be higher
quality, and so should be "chosen first."
I don't think that changing their ordering on the configure line helps.
Anybody else have any information they could share with me on this? Or
is a patch that "orders default codecs more by quality" something I
should try and come up with?
Cheers!
And go Michael Phelps.
-roger-