[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg still to video question

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Thu Aug 2 13:19:41 CEST 2012

On 08/02/2012 01:44 AM, ffmpeg at jrbtechnical.com wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am looking to see if maybe I am missing an alternative to making a mp4
> from still images.
>
> I need the framerate of the mp4 (x264) to be 29.97, so I can't use the
> typical "-r 5" that people suggest to slow down the animation.  I am
> scripting things in perl with imagemagick, so I can easily create some
> loops in the script to output 15 frames of each image, making a frameset
> of a couple 100 frames, but that seems a bit "the long way around the
> barn".  But, this may be the only way to do this.

Option placement matters.  Try something like:

ffmpeg [in opts] -r 2 -i input%03d.png [out opts] -r 29.97 outputfile

If you need more help, you really should post your command line and
complete console output.

> I just thought I would check with people to see if there is something I am
> missing in ffmpeg so that it knows to make 15 frames out of the same still
> image before going to the next image in the still set, while creating the
> output movie.  I have been looking around different forums and the
> documentation, but not really finding anything that seems to work like
> this.
>
> Thank you for any help with this, if there is a solution other than
> creating all the frames individually.

If you need variable intervals, the simplest solution is to "duplicate"
frame images with softlinks as needed.  No extra disk space, and ffmpeg
doesn't care.

HTH,

Phil