[FFmpeg-user] Fatal errors

Michael Bradshaw mbradshaw at sorensonmedia.com
Thu Aug 9 19:21:19 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 10:58 AM, agowad at gmail.com <agowad at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's just forget what I wrote. Could you try to answer one question...
> If ffmpeg.exe returns 0 as exit code, does that mean that the generated file should be ok?

Most likely. Note that if it returns 1, it's still possible the output
file is ok (though in that case I'd say it's usually a hint that your
command isn't 100% right).

You can also set the loglevel (you'd probably want "-loglevel error"
in your case, maybe "-loglevel warning") and read output from stderr
and optionally display it to the user as "these things may have caused
your output to not be quite right" (though a lot of the time ffmpeg
will generate ok output despite reporting errors and warnings, as it
tries its best to recover from these things).

> Please don't ask me to define "ok"... :-)

Then you have to assume you and I define "ok output" as the same thing :)

--Michael