[FFmpeg-user] default to yuv

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Aug 29 16:07:44 CEST 2012

Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> A user noticed that they "suddenly got no video when streaming to red5"
> http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=686
> "Builds starting from a85b4a5'ish all default to yuv444p here, it used
> to be yuv420p."

I considered it a bug that ffmpeg chose yuv420p if the input
pixel format was bgr24 and the encoder supports yuv444.

I agree that in the case of x264 this could be seen as
unexpected, but only because the commercial h264 decoders
typically do not support decoding anything except yuv420p.
Please remember how many reports "If I encode my rgb input
to mpeg2/mpeg4 the output quality is bad no matter the
chosen bitrate!" we only received this week!

A workaround is to add a special x264 encoder for yuv != yuv420p
(as it was done for rgb), if you look at dd974c1b you
should be able to produce a patch if you think it is a
good idea.

Carl Eugen