[FFmpeg-user] failed to build FFmpeg with MSVC

Rodney Baker rodney.baker at iinet.net.au
Sat Dec 8 17:41:37 CET 2012

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 02:03:06 James Darnley wrote:
> On 2012-12-08 16:21, Rafi Fisher wrote:
> > hello
> >
> >  i use windows xp os
> >
> >  i followed the instructions as outlined in :
> >    http://ffmpeg.org/platform.html#Microsoft-Visual-C_002b_002b
> >
> >   still when i run msys.bat which is located in directory
> >
> > : C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\msys.bat
> > :
> >   it enter some shell/csh console & thats it.
>
> Usually you then change directory to where ever you put the ffmpeg
> source, then run ./configure
>
> >  .\configure is not recognized as comnad (what is it by whom should it be
> >
> > installed ?)
>
> What happens if you use the correct slash (a forward slash not a
> backslash) in this command?  configure is the configure script that
> comes with ffmpeg.

James, he said he's trying to build it with MS Visual C under Windows. The
forward slash is a unix-ism - it doesn't work the same way under Windows
command line (f.k.a. DOS).

MSVC was unsupported for a long time but I think maybe someone did some work a
while back in an attempt to get it to compile in that environment. That was a
lot of sleeps ago, though; perhaps one of the devs would know the status.

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker at iinet.net.au