[FFmpeg-user] async vs. vsync or together

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Dec 11 23:59:34 CET 2012

Bernd Butscheidt <bbutscheidt <at> yahoo.de> writes:

> ffmpeg -i input.video -map 0:0 out.h264 -map 0:1,0:0 -async 48000 audio.ac3

I suspect ac3 has no timestamps, h264 has timestamps
but they are not supported well by FFmpeg.

Apart from that: the sync options are used if the input
stream has unusual timestamps to keep A/V sync in the
output stream (async) or to stop FFmpeg from dropping
or duplicating output frames (vsync) - there may be
other uses, but I don't think above command line makes
sense.
Note that especially the async option is less necessary
as it used to be because FFmpeg handles many streams
better than before even without sync options.

Carl Eugen