[FFmpeg-user] creating h264 .mp4 MBAFF tff/bff h264 with AAC audio

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Dec 20 16:39:57 CET 2012

Albert Scholtalbers <compuvision.sr <at> gmail.com> writes:

> A question like do I have to use libx264 in the command
> line when I use -x264 opts [yes/no]?

I am not a native speaker but it appears to me this question
makes no sense. ("Do I have to add apples if I eat oranges?")

But if your command line contains (-)x264opts, it will make
sense to also add -vcodec libx264. Or why would you use
-x264opts in the first place?
(Is that really your question?)

> And do I have to use AV options/codec AV options/Format AV
> options/filters etc.....when I use interlaced video in en
> video out.

Again, this is very hard to parse.
But if your question is "If my input video shows combing
artefacts because it is interlaced, does FFmpeg remove them
on transcoding without me adding any options to the command
line?" then the answer is "No". (It is also "No" if your
question is "My input video is interlaced, I am interested
in re-encoding without wasted bandwidth, will FFmpeg
automatically detect interlaced content and activate
appropriate encoding options?" Please see a recent thread
containing a discussion that it is not possible to auto-
detect interlaced material without an explicit and time-consuming
effort, the idet filter).

> Concerning the flags, that is tricky. Continue support with
> decisions made in the past, or do we clean up now and than
> with a lot of work.....

Please consider that what you call "clean up" would be
called "useless breaking of long-time options" by most /
all existing users.

> Using x264 ..... I tried, but many documented options don't
> seem to work with the ffmpeg.exe I retrieved the latest version
> from the Net, although mentioned on their website. When I use e.g.:
> f:\ffmpeg.exe -i "f:\sample.mpg" -vcodec h264 -b:v 1500k -x264opts
> --interlaced --tff -strict -2 -acodec aac -a:b 128k f:\output.mp4
> I get the message Unrecognized  option '-tff''

(Generally, always add the complete, uncut console output, not
an excerpt.)
Please read http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#libx264 again, the syntax
to pass x264 options via -x264options is slightly different than you
seem to believe.

> b_interlace.... could not find any reference in the x264 online
> documentation

Without checking, I am quite sure you already found the correct
option.

Carl Eugen