[FFmpeg-user] any hardware accelerated h.264 encoder works with FFMPEG ?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 14:31:24 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> In general, developers believe that you generally get slower
> encoding with worse quality if you are not using the CPU. This
> may not be true if you use an Atom with external hardware, but
> this sounds like an atypical use-case.

Well, in the developed world that might be the case. Down here in South
America not everyone has the latest greatest CPUs. In my case, I have an
Atom netbook for daily email/browsing usage and light bitmap editing, the
most powerful system (an AMD Opteron) runs as a Linux web and file server,
and I can´t afford to do video encodings there and sucking its cpu power
worsening performance of the running services.

Yes, in an ideal world I´d buy a second Opteron system and use it
exclusively for video encoding, but having the option of plugging a USB 2.0
dongle to my netbook and do long encodings at a higher speed without having
the cpu pegged at 100% usage sounds enticing, hence my question to the list.

Not sure about any SDKs, I´m not optmistic....
http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/Turbo264HD/product1.en.html

FC

act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell