[FFmpeg-user] Excessive reporting with -report option in latest FFMPEG builds

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Fri Jul 6 00:35:31 CEST 2012

L'octidi 18 messidor, an CCXX, Erling Groenlund a écrit :
> Yes, I agree - but in any case it seems that the reporting detail
> level has changed from the January build to the May/June builds,
> right?

Not exactly. The -report file has always saved all messages at all levels,
up to debug. What has changed is that consistency checks for timestamps have
been added, with warnings when things do not match. Still, there is
something wrong, either in your files or in the demuxer; and even if it is
in the file, if it is a common occurrence, it is worth working around, so a
sample is welcome.

> Thank you - I tried that, and it works and seems worth the
> reprogramming effort; however, I think you mean 'one line for every
> frame'; at least that is what I get with those parameters.

That is true, but counting frames that are sent to that framecrc
pseudo-encoder, and with the "-r 1" option, that makes one frame per second.
But they are video-time seconds, not real-time seconds: if your encoding is
very slow (x264 with high quality maybe), you may want to raise the value
after -r, or even remove it completely; if your encoding is very fast, you
may want to lower the value.

> It would of course be nice to have FFMPEG output the progress to,
> say, a file of just a single line being overwritten by the next line
> of progress information

I would not advise to use a real file for that. On Unix, a pipe, or possibly
a socket, would be the preferred method. On windows, I do not know what
makes the corresponding API.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George