[FFmpeg-user] Optimal method to capture both metadata and thumbnails for video files

Pavan Kulkarni pavanvkbgm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 13:16:36 CEST 2012

I found a way to get both thumbnail as well as metadata from a given input
video file using a single ffmpeg command.
using -f ffmetadata metadata.txt option.
But this option just gives me only specific meta data
Example:
;FFMETADATA1
major_brand=isom
minor_version=512
compatible_brands=isomiso2mp41
creation_time=1970-01-01 00:00:00
encoder=Lavf53.4.0

Is there a way to specify what metadata fields I need. For instance I need
the duration of the video, width and height etc.
Of course I can get them from AVCodecContext and AVStream structures. But I
will have to use the library libavformat for that. I was wondering if I get
the required metadata of the input video file directly via command line
options of ffmpeg.