[FFmpeg-user] AC3 encoding problem - wrong audio tag?

Stefan Gofferje ffmpeg-user at home.gofferje.net
Fri Jul 13 11:08:20 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 07/13/2012 11:33 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>> RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 624 x 352, 23.98 fps, video: XviD,
>> audio: Dolby AC3 (stereo, 48000 Hz)
>                     ^^^^^^

Oops... here is a file output from another one:
RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 720 x 480, 23.98 fps, video: XviD,
audio: Dolby AC3 (6 channels, 48000 Hz)

> FFmpeg developers believe that the Microsoft specification
> requires an avi muxer to use different headers (WAVEFORMATEX)
> depending on the number of channels (stereo vs 6 channels).
> Many playback applications are unable to read the header that is -
> as we believe - required for surround sound.

I don't really understand what you are talking about. I'm not very deep
in this codec stuff, just a video hobbyist.
Are you saying, it is not possible to create ac3 streams with ffmpeg
that have the Dolby AC3 tag and work on network media players with Dolby
certified amplifiers?

-Stefan

--
 (o_   Stefan Gofferje            | SCLT, MCP, CCSA
 //\   Reg'd Linux User #247167   | VCP #2263