[FFmpeg-user] AC3 encoding problem - wrong audio tag?

Stefan Gofferje ffmpeg-user at home.gofferje.net
Sat Jul 14 12:56:14 CEST 2012

Carl,

On 07/14/2012 12:33 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Don't forget that MEncoder is not an actively maintained application
> for several years.

What can I do...? :)
The ffmpeg-developers seem to utilize an interpretation of a standard
which seems to be not much widely shared, hence the created files don't
work - as you said yourself - with many software. And - what's important
for me - with my hardware. As the Showcenter uses a very widespread
hardware and software platform, it's quite likely that the files don't
work properly on a broad variety of other hardware players as well.

No offense, but frankly, I don't really care about the interpretation of
the standard. When it comes to ffmpeg, I'm just a dumb user. I want to
watch my homevideos on my hardware media player and on my LG Smart TV.
And I want my files to work on the players of my friends and family.
If that doesn't work, I will not buy a new hardware player or a new
Smart TV which complies with the ffmpeg interpretation of a standard,
nor will I tell all my friends and family that they have to go and buy
new players. Using a software that creates working files is much easier
for me and if - due to lack of maintenance - mencoder will not be
available in time, I will have to find another solution. But I worry
about that then.

Again, no offense :).

Besides, the easiest way for ffmpeg to keep "the standard" but still be
useable for the people with the disagreeing players would be, as a
compromise, to include an additional video encoding option switch, e.g.
"-ddcompat" (Dolby Digital compatibility), which activates "nonstandard"
behavior and explain this in the documentation.

-Stefan

--
 (o_   Stefan Gofferje            | SCLT, MCP, CCSA
 //\   Reg'd Linux User #247167   | VCP #2263