[FFmpeg-user] Encoding x264 hangs in a high turn over pipeline

Luke luke at audiomotion.com
Wed Jul 25 13:12:01 CEST 2012

Hello,
We are testing ffmpeg in our compression pipeline as our commercial
software does not provide the functionality we need.

We run a multithreaded compression (ffmpeg multithreading isn't used,
our own solution is) using the following command:
ffmpeg -i #input# -f mp4 -vcodec libx264 -s 1024x576 -b:v 2000k -g 33
-acodec libmp3lame -b:a 128k -ar 44100 -vf "movie=#logo# [wm]; [in][wm]
overlay=10:main_h-overlay_h-10 [out]" -y #output#

Approx. 75% threads complete without any problems, the remaining ones
get stuck - cpu usage on each thread drops to 0, memory usage gets stuck
at around 300MB.

Initially we used aac and libvo_aacenc coders for audio, but the hangs
seemed more frequent.

Tested on a few recent ffmpeg builds, including the one compiled on 20/07.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Luke
--

*Luke Niejadlik*
Audiomotion Studios Ltd.

Develop Awards - Best Services Winner 2011, 2009 & 2004

*/JOIN THE MOVEMENT!/* - www.facebook.com/audiomotion.studios
<http://www.facebook.com/audiomotion.studios> - twitter.com/audiomotion
<http://twitter.com/audiomotion> - http://www.join-the-movement.co.uk/