[FFmpeg-user] obtaining an image from a video stream

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 18:42:15 CEST 2012

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:29:45 +0100, LsBender <mlefe74 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I was wondering if I can capture an image from a video stream (H.264 cam)
> with FFmpeg?

Yes.

Since you haven't told us what sort of stream, or even what sort of image,
I'd be guessing if I said much more than that.

> The aim is to rapidly know if all the cameras I have are working properly
> (quality of pictures)

You'll get a better idea of the quality of picture by actually watching
the stream on a player (mplayer or VLC, say).  Stills from videos tend not
to be great quality.

--
Rhodri James
Kynesim Ltd