[FFmpeg-user] transcoding downloads from hulu

freeslkr freeslkr.wl6x at mailnull.com
Sat Jun 2 22:28:24 CEST 2012

I've used https://code.google.com/p/get-flash-videos to download
videos from hulu.com.  They play well on VLC et al on my linux
machine, but not on my WD TV Live.  There, the audio plays at
a normal rate, but the video plays at something like double-speed.
(I'm assuming this is some nonsense on hulu's part to discourage
downloads, and that the WD TV Live refuses to work around it.)

I naively tried `ffmpeg -i tvshow.flv tvshow.mp4` to fix the problem.
The audio and video are now synced at normal speed, but the resulting
video is grainy and is unwatchable on the TV.  VLC reports the
resolution (720x400) and frame rate (23.97) are unchanged from the
original.

Will someone help me figure out the ffmpeg options I need to use to
keep the video quality?  Or, is there a better way to accomplish
getting the video to play at normal speed on the WD TV Live?

Thank you.