[FFmpeg-user] AC-3 Dolby Digital 5.1 Encoding

Joshua Tidsbury Joshua.Tidsbury at bellmedia.ca
Mon Jun 4 00:26:11 CEST 2012

On 2012-06-03, at 5:56 PM, "Chase Patterson" <chapatt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm just wondering how Totem decides if something is surround or not, and if there's some ffmpeg option that encodes additional metadata to say this.

You'd probably have to ask the developers, but it is the channel_layout flag that specifies this insofar as the ac3 spec is concerned. There isn't any further metadata required.

I would concur with Carl that a hardware decoder is the only reliable test of the encoded stream. We've generally found VLC to be quite representative though.

Thanks,
Josh

-----
Josh Tidsbury