[FFmpeg-user] AAC with bit rate >160k

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Jun 11 16:58:06 CEST 2012

wtfux <wtfux.dev <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Is there a way to encode AAC with a bit-rate higher than 160k?
> `-codec:a libfaac` always encodes with a bitrate between 150k and 160k
> when `-b:a` is above 160k.

This depends on the source, I believe libfaac (in case you are using it,
you forgot to post a command line together with complete, uncut console
output) also allows constant quality which allows to see the maximum
possible bitrate.

> With `-codec:a aac` I'm actually able to encode much higher bitrates
> but this codec is marked as experimental and I'm not sure if it's good
> to use it.

But -acodec aac will also hit a maximum limit (it is higher because
of -strict experimental, or more exact: You have to use -strict
experimental because a higher bitrate is necessary for maximum
quality).

Carl Eugen