[FFmpeg-user] For aac: which lib - aac? libaacplus? libfaac?

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Thu Jun 14 20:01:12 CEST 2012

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:52:28 +0200
Robert Krüger <krueger at lesspain.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Lou <lou at lrcd.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 17:08:26 -0400
> > sean darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Isn't anybody encoding with aac?
> >>
> >> sean
> >
> > FFmpeg can also encode with libvo_aacenc. Why not try them yourself and
> > see what you like best? For LC-AAC with similar bitrates I'd probably
> > assume:
> >
> > qaac (Apple) > neroaacenc > faac => libvo-aacenc > ffaacenc
> >
> regarding quality of libvo_aac you might want to read this:
>
> http://spectralhole.blogspot.de/2010/12/androids-stagefright-aac-encoder-or.html

Interesting article, and kamedo2 provides some comments about ffaacenc
that are worth a follow-up (and he has a blog that has some opinions on
libvo-aacenc quality compared to others http://d.hatena.ne.jp/kamedo2/).

Also, I've noticed that libvo_aacenc ignores -aq/-q:a, so you're stuck
with -ab/-b:a for that encoder.