[FFmpeg-user] Detecting 24 FPS pulldown in MPEG-2 DVD streams

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Tue Jul 2 09:14:21 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 2:45 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Robert Krüger <krueger <at> lesspain.de> writes:
>
>> if it helps in diagnosing this further I will of
>> course install mplayer and do that.
>
> MPlayer for pulldown-stream writes something like
> "Pulldown detected, changing framerate" which I
> consider helpful (in this case).
OK, I will try that.

> But otoh, it is a known limitation that FFmpeg does
> not handle soft-pulldown very well, so the output
> will not give a lot of information, I just wanted
> to describe a possibility to show the issue esily.

Thank you for that information!  So opening a feature request on Trac
and maybe offering a bounty seems like something I could do, once I
understand better what is missing.

>> Apart from that, is there a specific reason why
>> Media Info is so unacceptable as yet another
>> independent (and as all software certainly not
>> bugfree) source of information?
>
> It is not unacceptable, I just don't remember an
> issue / question where it was useful.
> (And I incorrectly expected that you have Mplayer
> installed.)

OK, in cases like this, it is occasionally useful when it confirms an
already existing assumption. In this case I created the file according
to Apple's guidelines for producing an NTSC-DVD from 23.967p material
and the output of MediaInfo made perfect sense, so it helped me. I
will install mplayer in any case. A more or less funny sidenote:
Quicktime does not play the pulldown file correctly either and it was
created/processed by Apple tools in every step of the workflow :-).

Thanks,

Robert