[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg fails to install with opus enabled in Ubuntu 12.04

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Sun Jul 7 09:24:19 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jul 6, 2013, at 02:22 PM, Yahoo! mail wrote:

> Query: should I have removed my existing ffmpeg?

You didn't need remove anything since the guide on ffmpeg.org does not
perform a system installation, so it can co-exist with any repository
packages. If nothing depended on the "ffmpeg" package then it doesn't
really matter, and if anything did you can simply just reinstall them
with your favorite package manager.

Side note: the so-called "ffmpeg" package in the repository is not
actually from the FFmpeg project:
http://stackoverflow.com/q/9477115/1109017

> So I did, finally, get my ffmpeg install, albeit without opus.
>
> azed at azed-N110:~$ ffmpeg 2>&1 | head -n1
> ffmpeg version git-2013-07-06-7f25050 Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the FFmpeg
> developers
>
> Or did I? This is what I really want to know.

Yes.

> Have I simply installed ffmpeg without opus?

Unknown since you did not include the line that shows all of the
configure options. Alternatively you could run "ffmpeg -encoders | grep
opus".

> And, if so, how do I get rid of the opus software I have installed (I
> wasn't planning to use opus, and don't know why I tried to install it).

Although you ran "make install", and assuming opus compilation was
successful, it didn't install anything to your system (it "installed" to
~/ffmpeg_build) so it won't do anything if you leave it. If you want to
get rid of all traces of just the opus stuff one method is:

$ cd ~/ffmpeg_sources/opus
$ make uninstall
$ rm -rf ~/ffmpeg_sources/opus

> There seems to be a problem compiling (is that the word?) ffmpeg with
> opus in Ubuntu 12.04. I am really writing this e-mail to bring this to
> the attention of the ffmpeg developers - hope it doesn't sound like
> carping

Thanks. It's certainly possible that something is incorrect or
incomplete, and I admit that I may not have tested all releases that the
guide claims to support.