[FFmpeg-user] libavcodec documentation and usage

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Tue Jul 16 16:01:02 CEST 2013

> I still don't understand.  How did I 'hijack' that thread?  My email had a
> completely different subject line, and it was a completely new topic.

There are additional headers in some mailing-list emails that your email program probably doesn't show you, which identify the thread. If you post to the list by replying to a message from another thread, these headers can sometimes be duplicated into the new email, meaning you appear - to people whose email programs support all this - to "alter the subject" of a thread partway down.

These special "threading" headers are not all that widely supported, especially on the webmail providers such as Yahoo that a lot of people use, so again, there's no reason you should be expected to know about them.