[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg 1.0.5 and buffer underflow - Update

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat May 4 15:23:02 CEST 2013

Reindl Harald <h.reindl <at> thelounge.net> writes:

> >> --optflags='-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
> >> -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
> >> -m64 -mtune=generic'

> have you ever considered to google them?
>
> "-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4"
> are default for ANY package of most linux-distributions
> since years for security reasons

Do you know of any problems these parameters fix?
(Iirc, the exploit for Ubuntu "MPlayer" - which is
not MPlayer - also worked with these flags, or am I
wrong?)

> and for a hardening build you enable
> "-fPIC -fPIE -fstack-protector-all" too as also
> "-Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,relro" as LDFLAGS

None of these are used above, so I wonder how this
is related?

And please note that of the options you did not comment on,
some are useless, some harmful, so the argument "people
know what they do" (in case this is your argument)
seems insupportable.

Carl Eugen