[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg created prores 444 still not identified correctly by Quicktime player?

Timothy Gu timothygu99 at gmail.com
Fri May 10 02:16:16 CEST 2013

On May 9, 2013 12:07 PM, "Sam Marrocco" <smarrocco at ringsidecreative.com>
wrote:

> Last year I had introduced a thread about an issue where Prores 444
quicktime movies created with ffmpeg and the prores_kostya codec were
failing to be identified as 444 by the Apple Quicktime player. See thread:
http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2012-September/009521.html for
details.

> By the end of the thread, the consensus seemed to indicate that the
fourcc was being set incorrectly to apch (the reply actually stated apcn)
instead of the correct ap4h but the pixel format was correct. I believe a
patch was being tested.

> I recently downloaded a newer version of ffmpeg and attempted the same
files with the same commands (substituting "prores_ks" for "prores_kostya"
which appears to have changed). The issue still appears to exist. Is this
still a known issue?

Regarding the fourcc issue, the patch somehow isn't committed. (I don't
know anything about coding so I can't decide if the patch is good enough to
be committed.)

For the alpha channel in the ProRes 4444 (which might not be applicable to
your issue), the issue is still open on trac.
http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/1728

Timothy G.