[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg created prores 444 still not identified correctly by Quicktime player?

Sam Marrocco smarrocco at ringsidecreative.com
Mon May 13 15:21:22 CEST 2013

On 5/10/2013 1:34 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

Sam Marrocco <smarrocco <at> ringsidecreative.com> writes:

Last year I had introduced a thread about an issue where
Prores 444 quicktime movies created with ffmpeg and the
prores_kostya codec were failing to be identified as 444
by the Apple Quicktime player.

Where you able to test a sample that shows if Chroma
subsampling is done correctly or not?
I don't think decoding can work at all if the decoder
(QuickTime) does not (internally) detect the right
colourspace (444).

I was not aware that the image needed to be tested. However as near as I can tell, the image quality does seem to indicate that it is being created using 444 (using a gradient that indicates banding more predominantly when 422). As far as I know, the problem was all about the fourCC not being set correctly.

sam marrocco | chief technical officer
ringside.cutters.picnic.moonlink

248 548 2500 w
248 910 3344 c