[FFmpeg-user] Status of two prores decoders/encoders

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Fri May 17 14:22:58 CEST 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Tim Nicholson <nichot20 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 17/05/13 11:05, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > Robert Krüger <krueger <at> lesspain.de> writes:
> >
> >> is there a place where I can find out why there are
> >> two prores decoders (both LGPL) and two encoders
> >> (also both LGPL)
> >
> > http://blog.pkh.me/p/13-the-ffmpeg-libav-situation.html
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_invented_here
> >
> >> and what the pros and cons of each are?
> >
> > The "Anatoliy" encoder is faster.
> >

> But I think only the Kostya supports interlace...
>
> >> I am asking because it is hard to decide which one to
> >> choose if one wanted to sponsor development of a
> >> certain feature (e.g. support for alpha).
> >
> > Please choose proresdec2.c and proresenc_anatoliy.c,
> > everything else makes Michael's work harder.
> >
> > Carl Eugen
> >
> > [...]
>

> --
> Tim

Thanks for the valuable feedback, everyone!

The interlaced support is indeed not unimportant (unfortunately). So
probably the best thing for the ffmpeg project would be to have that ported
to proresenc_anatoliy.c and then target other features and improvements for
that one only. has anyone looked at the code bases to determine if porting
stuff that is already in the kostya version is easier than developing from
scratch?