[FFmpeg-user] How to determine progression

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Sat May 18 10:30:03 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM, Albert Scholtalbers <
compuvision.sr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have created with Perl and FFmpeg transcode service on my server.
> All files in placed in a certain folder are queued for transcoding.
> What I'm missing is a kind of progress bar.
> Is there a way to retrieve the status of ffmpeg transcoding like fps or
> better percentage finished by querying to active process.
> I mean other than something like this.
> current filesize of destination file/(media length in sec of source
> *(audio bitrate+video bitrate))
>
> And idea is nice.
>
> yours sincerely,
>
> Albert

attaching your perl process to ffmpeg's stdout and parsing the percentage
that is output there is not what you want? It is of course not pretty and
may break with any ffmpeg update but I think this works well for many
people doing what you do.

Cheers,

Robert