[FFmpeg-user] Processing of HTTP Progressively downloaded videos.

Anil J anilj.mailing at gmail.com
Mon May 20 19:57:57 CEST 2013

Hi,

In HTTP progressive download of video (youtube case) how can we achieve
transcoding? I understand that progressive download clients rarely download
on GOP boundaries, and most clients download data as incremental chunks;
not all video payload in HTTP responses will begin with an IDR frames.

If we have to adapt the video which progressively downloaded, what are the
techniques currently being used? One approach I am thinking is to buffer
the video chunks good enough to slice off the video stream at
GOP boundaries so that every chunk starts with an I-Frame, and every chunk
is independently decodable. After this, process/transcode as required. Will
this approach work, or is there any different approach to deal with this
scenario?

What are the experiences?

Thanks,
/anil.