[FFmpeg-user] FFv1 interlaced

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Tue May 28 16:04:13 CEST 2013

Quoting "Peter B." <pb at das-werkstatt.com>:
> Quoting Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at>:
>> You can test if such a mode would help compression:
>> $ ffmpeg -i interlaced -vcodec ffv1 out1.avi
>> $ ffmpeg -i interlaced -vf il=d:d -vcodec ffv1 out2.avi
>
> Interesting filter. Didn't know that one.
> Will check this.

I've tested compression performance and the files are sometimes
smaller, sometimes bigger.

I ran it on 4 files:
1) 1min documentary (anamorphic Digibeta material) [1] - (9 MB bigger)
2) 1min interview (anamorphic Digibeta material) - (5 MB bigger)
3) 1min low-motion "Heldenplatz" (VHS) [2] - (15 MB smaller)
4) 10min holiday/family video (many cuts) (VHS) - (300 MB smaller)

Encoding the deinterleaved fields were bigger with Digibeta and
smaller with VHS.

Therefore I concur with you, that with this kind of compression the
impact of differing between progressive/interlaced encoding seem
negligible. I've also compared FFv1.1 vs FFv1.3: Approximately same
results.
The compression gained there is probably not worth the hassle of
having an interlaced-mode.

Regards,
Pb