[FFmpeg-user] Piping video from REDline to ffmpeg

Elliott Balsley elliottbalsley at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 11:57:19 CET 2013

I frequently work with footage from RED Digital Cinema cameras, and it would be great to use ffmpeg sometimes.  However, ffmpeg doesn't support the r3d codec.  RED provides a free conversion tool called REDline, but I can't figure out how to pipe its output to ffmpeg.  I'd really appreciate any help on this.
REDline is available for Mac and Windows as part of the free RedCine-X Pro app at https://www.red.com/downloads but I also put just the mac binary on Google Drive for easy downloading:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B52QuT8oHvtZZE5TMmdfSVZybFU/edit?usp=sharing

Here's some sample r3d footage: http://www.r3dfootage.com/footage

If piping can be made to work, it might be the ideal solution for r3d files, so that REDline can take care of the debayer and raw conversion, then ffmpeg takes care of everything else.