[FFmpeg-user] Confusion about fieldmatch, decimate and framerate (now with yadif)

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Nov 21 01:02:45 CET 2013

Nicholas Robbins <nickrobbins <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> The video in question is a TV miniseries made in the
> UK (Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal"). However, since
> i live in region 1, I assume it was remastered for
> the US. So I don't know how it wandered around 24p
> 25i, and 30i in the production stream.

As said, I don't know very much about it but I suspect
it was an interlaced stream at some point, and was
telecined later (50i -> 29.97 telecined).

[...]

> I could dig it out of storage to see if I get different
> results from the original. Would that be helpful?

Imo, that would be very helpful!
Ideally, you would run the following on the original DVD:
$ mplayer dvd:// -dumpstream
or
$ mplayer dvdnav:// -dumpstream

The resulting file can be cut with dd, a few minutes
that allow to see A/V sync would be great!
(Perhaps including the scene you already provided.)

I can then report the problem to the fieldmatch
maintainer;-)

Thank you, Carl Eugen