[FFmpeg-user] Audio stream won't play after remapping to remove unusable streams.

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Nov 22 12:57:46 CET 2013

Hans J. Albertsson writes:

> The below commands show an attempt at removing a
> voice-over russian dubbed audio stream (0:1) from an avi
> file, so that the other, japanese, audio stream will be
> the default.
>
> It won't work: the resulting file, which to me seems
> good, judging from what ffmpeg -i OUT.avi says, will
> come up as "unsupported audio" in all my media players.

Including MPlayer and WMP?

[...]

> ffmpeg version 1.1.2 Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the
> FFmpeg developers

(Unrelated: This is too old.)

>      Stream #0:1: Audio: ac3 ([0] [0][0] / 0x2000),
> 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 448 kb/s

I can only guess but since this was asked before,
it is a good guess:
The Microsoft specification for avi explains how
multichannel ac3 should be muxed, FFmpeg follows
the recommendation, some media player demand an
implementation that does not confirm to the
specification.

Since I am guessing, please feel free to continue
testing and report back here:
Update FFmpeg (and vlc and MPlayer), test both
multichannel and stereo ac3, test both remuxing and
reencoding and report back here.

Carl Eugen