[FFmpeg-user] -f segment does not seem to be working

Michael Hipp michael at redmule.com
Tue Apr 1 00:07:22 CEST 2014

On 3/31/2014 4:37 PM, Lou wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 16:28:34 -0500
> Michael Hipp <michael at redmule.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm attempting to segment an incoming mp3 audio stream:
>>
>> ffmpeg -i udp://239.8.8.8:5000 -acodec copy -f segment -segment_time 5 out%03d.mp3
>>
>> The audio records fine but it never segments. The one file (out000.mp3) just
>> grows and grows.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> I'm using ffpmeg as ships with ubuntu 12.04 (version
>> 0.8.10-4:0.8.10-0ubuntu0.12.04.1).
> As of 13.10 Ubuntu does not include ffmpeg from FFmpeg. The version you
> are using is from a fork of FFmpeg. This mailing list only supports
> stuff from FFmpeg.
>
> You can try using a recent build of ffmpeg:
> http://ffmpeg.org/download.html#LinuxBuilds

Thank you. I'm afraid the version numbers are a bit confusing.

But anyways, I downloaded a static build from
http://ffmpeg.gusari.org/static/32bit/ as linked on that page and now it
segments as expected. I only had to add a -map 0 option:

  ./ffmpeg -i udp://239.8.8.8:5000 -acodec copy -map 0 -f segment -segment_time
60 out%03d.mp3

Thanks,
Michael Hipp