[FFmpeg-user] converting to non HD avi with ffmpeg

Kevin Wilson wkevils at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 09:07:03 CEST 2014

Hi,

The command I am used in the past (which Andy suggested, see below) does
not work with ffmpeg on Fedora 20, with ffmpeg-2.1.1-1. I am trying to
convert an mp4 file to a non HD mpeg file. It *must* be non-HD since I want
to play it on a non-HD DVD player
I am getting various errors on various flags.

The command I am using is (ubunutuArm.mp4 is an HD video file):
ffmpeg -i ubunutuArm.mp4 -target ntsc-dvd -bf 2 -flags2 ivlc -dc 10 -b
8000000 -maxrate 9000000 -bufsize 224kB -acodec mp2 -ac 2 -ab 128000 -vf
scale=720:480 ubunutuArmNonHD.mpg

And it says an error about ivlc (and vlc is installed). Googling for that,
I saw some suggestion to try -flags2 intra_vlc -non_linear_quant; I am not
sure it is right, but I tried it, and then it says and error about -dc 10;
I tried omitting -dc 10 and then it said an error about "Unable to parse
option value "-b"". and so on

I would appreciate if someone can tell what should be the command to
convert
an mp4 to a non HD file with this new ffmpeg application.

Regards,
Kevin