[FFmpeg-user] Libav (Avconv) Imposition on Users who want FFmpeg

John Finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Thu Apr 24 00:20:10 CEST 2014

On 4/23/2014 2:14 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> John Finlay <finlay <at> moeraki.com> writes:
>
>> In my experience the incompatibilities between avconv
>> and ffmpeg are mostly command line differences e.g
>> map 0.1 vs map 0:1
> This sounds unlikely:
> The map 0.1 syntax was dropped from FFmpeg three years
> ago iirc.

The avconv version of ffmpeg in Ubuntu accepts -map 0.1 and -map 0:1 but
the version of ffmpeg I use and avconv only accept -map 0:1
>> and differences in placement of options e.g before
>> or after the -i options.
> This is at least misleading:
> There are input options (which have to be placed
> before -i) and output options (which have to be placed
> after the filename following -i). There are input and
> output options with the same name. And there are
> global options where the position does not matter.
> That said, I don't think there is any difference
> between FFmpeg and any forks with respect to the
> placement of options.

Avconv works with -vf options before the -i options but the version of
ffmpeg I use seems to ignore -vf options unless they are after the -i
options.

The version of ffmpeg I use is 1.2.2 and the version of avconv is 0.8.10
on ubuntu 12.04. I suppose these differences could have been eliminated
in later versions. My point is that there is confusion between avconv's
ffmpeg and the real ffmpeg on ubuntu systems that lead to
incompatibilities in command line use.

John