[FFmpeg-user] Stripping 'actual time of day' from AVI files

Nathan Lewis nlewis at crawford.com
Sat Apr 26 02:02:21 CEST 2014

On Friday, April 25, 2014, Katherine Yee <katherinegyee at gmail.com> wrote:

> To Whom This May Concern,
>
> I was wondering if you knew a way to (I'm not sure if I am wording this
> correctly) extract the 'time of day' off of .AVI files. It is apparently
> embedded in the audio. I currently use SMPTE to monitor the time, so I know
> it's there, but I need to extract the time (and navigation), preferably in
> a .txt or .doc file, that is embedded in the file. All the different
> scripts that I use through ffmpeg only give me a start: 0.0000000 and
> duration: 00:01:23:83. Can this be even done? Any kind of help would be
> very much appreciated!

I'm not sure if ffmpeg will be able to decode the SMPTE audible timecode
track.  I'll defer to others with more experience with regards to ffmpeg's
capabilities, but you might want to look into libltc and specifically
ltc-tools.

libltc:

http://x42.github.io/libltc/index.html

>From libltc webpage:
"Is there [free] software is using libltc?

yes, ltc-tools <https://github.com/x42/ltc-tools>. It comprises
JACK<http://jackaudio.org/> applications
to generate and decode LTC from live sources and includes tools to read or
write LTC from/to audio-files. xjadeo <http://xjadeo.sf.net/> video-monitor
has been updated to use libltc, and ardour <http://ardour.org/>3 DAW fully
supports chasing and latency free [re]encoding of LTC since svn rev 13390."

Link to ltc-tools:

https://github.com/x42/ltc-tools

Hope this might be useful.

*Nathan Lewis*
Media Engineer

*Crawford Media Services, Inc.*direct: 678.536.4903 | main: 404.876.0333 |
fax: 678.536.4912 |
e:  nlewis at crawford.com | w: www.crawford.com | @crawford_media
6 West Druid Hills Drive, NE Atlanta, GA 30329

*Your Content. Our Solutions.*