[FFmpeg-user] OBS multicast

Eric Lovelace Eric.Lovelace at msdmail.net
Thu Dec 4 22:52:57 CET 2014

Joseph Curtin writes:
> I've had success with the overview you've laid out. But I didn't have ffserver.
> My VLC was talking to ngnix directly.
>
> Cheers,
> -Joseph Curtin
> On Dec 4, 2014 10:13 AM, "Eric Lovelace" <Eric.Lovelace at msdmail.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > My goal is to create a live stream using OBS and play it on many
> > in-house machines using multicast.  Right now my attempt looks like:
> > [OBS] -> [nginx w/ rtmp module] -> [ffserver/ffmedia with rtp] -> [any
> > client; I've tried vlc, quicktime, ffplay]
> >
> > I keep running into issues and I haven't had much luck troubleshooting
> > them, so I am curious if anyone has accomplished something similar and
> > could share their setup.  Is this a good approach, or should I look in
> > a different direction?

I have also had success without ffserver; however, if I connect directly to the nginx server I would not be using multicast (if I am understanding correctly).  The nginx-rtmp module does suggest that it can be used to multicast though I always assumed that was via a setup like the one I described, how were you able to multicast just with nginx?

Thanks,
Eric