[FFmpeg-user] AVCHD files recover

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Dec 23 16:57:20 CET 2014

emaggiani <at> libero.it <emaggiani <at> libero.it> writes:

> ok, I've explored these files a little bit more...
>
> Some of them are valid mpeg streams, so ffmpeg -i outputs
> Input #0, mpegts, from '00016.MTS':

> Then here is my question: these hundreds of little
> mpeg are eventually the "data atoms" (mdat) of the
> original MP4 file

This is not possible: What you found are (parts of)
transport streams, every part is playable by itself.
This is generally not possible with mov files, they
are only playable if they are undamaged / if all
parts are still where they belong.

(Note that mov files with mdat atoms that are actually
transport streams do exist but from FFmpeg pov these
are not really mov files but transport streams: For
such files, the mov structure is completely irrelevant
because they have to be treated as transport streams
anyway.)

Carl Eugen