[FFmpeg-user] Reading TimeCode Track using ffmpeg

tarun singhal tsinghal18 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 15:16:58 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 6:05 PM, Henk D. Schoneveld <belcampo at zonnet.nl>
wrote:

> On 09 Jun 2014, at 20:23, tarun singhal <tsinghal18 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am recently getting introduced to TimeCode, so pardon me if I am asking
> > kidding questions.
> > So my understanding of timecode is, a specific timecode represent each
> and
> > individual frame in a video
> >
> > Q1) Do only I Frames have timecode or do each I/P/B frames have timecode?
> > Q2) Does ffmpeg has capability to read time code and process them
> >
> > Suppose I am given two time codes 01:00:00.12 and 01:20:00.24. and I am
> > asked to cut the segment from source video whose starting time code is
> > 01:00:00.12 and end time code is 01:20:00.24?
> Did you try the -ss and -t options ?
> >
> > I have read ffmbc might be a good tool. any guidance?
> >

> > Regards,
> > Tarun Singhal

-ss and -t are based on timestamps not timecode, though i recently found
that ffprobe has capabilities to dump Timecode of each frame. I havent been
able to test it, will be able to test by tommorow. I am betting on  getting
real timestamp corresponding to each timecode and then I will be able to
use respective timestamps and use -ss and -t options of ffmpeg and get the
desired result. If any body has already tried it, please do let me know the
results.

Thanks,
Tarun