[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg errors

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 12 15:52:16 CEST 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 12:36 AM, Noel Hunt <noel.hunt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been using ffmpeg for a while to re-encode video files
> I have received into xvid/mp3 for an old Sony DVD player I
> have.
>
> I have recently tried to convert some files for which ffmpeg
> generates tens of thousands of errors, e.g.:

The errors are coming from decoding the content in ffmpeg's h264
decoder, which uses a lot of asm. I've seen this before with H264
files on FreeBSD if you build without modern binutils/compiler.

> + ffmpeg -i /tmp/Endeavour.s02e01.Trove.mp4 -y -vcodec libxvid -acodec
> libmp3lame -ab 128  -ac 2 avi/.mp4.avi
> ffmpeg version 2.2.3 Copyright (c) 2000-2014 the FFmpeg developers
>   built on Jun 11 2014 09:17:30 with gcc 4.2.1 (GCC) 20070719 [FeeBSD]
>  configuration: --prefix=/home/noel --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libx264
--enable-gpl -- nable-libxvid

So you're already building by hand, good.

What version/architecture of FreeBSD are you using? Before 10, I had
good results building with lang/gcc46 and devel/binutils, for better
asm support. After 10, I get good results either with gcc46 (or gcc47)
or clang.

Pass -cc and --as to configure to use alternate compiler/binutils.

Cheers

Tom