[FFmpeg-user] some avi files work the first time but then refuses on subsequent tries but others don't

Allen R Biggins allen.biggins at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 03:19:44 CEST 2014

I have come across a problem where an avi file read from a 2TB usb hdd
(NTFS) will work on a Vivid TV (model AT-40FHD1) for the first time but
won't work on subsequent attempts. The file does actually read and plays
the sound but there's no video and eventually a message comes up on the
screen that the format of the file is not supported. The avi file can be
seen on a notebook computer.

The avi file gives the same error on a different model Vivid TV and the
same happens on a Vivid BluRay DVD player.

Now the TV book explains that the USB drive must be formatted at FAT32
and I hadn't realised that and I suspecting that somehow the USB file
has been corrupted due to using the NTFS version plugged into the TV.
The support crowd from the TV explain that the TV is not capable of
doing anything to the USB avi file but once this happens, that same file
resuses to work ever again on that TV, the other TV and the BluRay
player. There are other avi files that this is happening to and they
behave in exactly the same way but the strange thing is that there are
other avi files on the NTFS USB HDD and they work first time and every time.

So there's the problem.

I have used avi fix programs and they don't seem to make any difference.

I have reset both the TV and the BluRay player and that makes no difference.

The last thing that I have done is to run ffmpeg (using Linux Mint 15,
64 bit) and this is what happened:-

allenb at allenb-P7812 ~ $ ffmpeg -v 5 -i /home/allenb/temp/input_file.avi
-f null -
WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to:
/run/user/allenb/keyring-qvX94q/pkcs11: No such file or directory

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate:
30000.00 (30000/1) -> 29.97 (30000/1001)
Stream mapping:
   Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
   Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
Press ctrl-c to stop encoding
Error while decoding stream #0.1=      -0kB time=6133.26 bitrate=
-0.0kbits/s dup=1 drop=2
Error while decoding stream #0.1
Error while decoding stream #0.1
Error while decoding stream #0.1
frame=184475 fps=1647 q=0.0 Lsize=      -0kB time=6154.61 bitrate=
-0.0kbits/s dup=1 drop=3
video:0kB audio:1153

Now the question is, what is all this information telling me?

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Thank you

Allen
Australia