[FFmpeg-user] Where can I find ALL options for FFMPEG's FLAC encoder?

Барт Гопник bart.gopnik at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 08:28:49 CEST 2014

> If you don't need to control these individual settings for some specific purpose
I exactly need to advanced tuning all these available parameters. My
specific purpose is science research/experiment at the university to
achieve the maximum possible compression ratio (time not important,
compression ratio important… :-)) using FLAC and FFMPEG (both free and
open source). I've also use reference FLAC encoder (libFLAC), but it
has excellent exhaustive documentation about each available
parameters, FFMPEG project unfortunately is not. :(

I have two tasks:

1. achieve the maximum possible compression ratio;
2. achieve the maximum possible compression ratio, but stream should
be FLAC subset.

Due to "ffmpeg -h full" I've found only one previously unknown to me option:

flac muxer AVOptions:
  -write_header      <int>        E....... Write the file header (from
0 to 1) (default 1)

How to find all global options (not FLAC encoder specific), that I can
apply to FLAC encoder (without reading the source)?

For example, I've know about global "compression_level" option from
the internet. But how to know can I apply some concrete option X to
concrete encoder (compression algorithm) Y or concrete format
container Z in FFMPEG?