[FFmpeg-user] Fwd: [screen-capture-recorder-to-video-windows-free] Color mismatch on recorded file (#29)

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 06:25:41 CEST 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 7:26 AM, James Darnley <james.darnley at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 2014-06-10 15:09, Roger Pack wrote:
>
> Are you actually asking a question?  I can't follow what is supposed to
> be going on here.  No quoting and top posting makes this unintelligible.
>
> YUV<->RGB conversions are not lossless.

Could you explain more here? Shouldn't conversion to yuv444p (or at least
yuvj444p) be "lossless" or am I missing something? (I assume the j there
means full range?)

> Subsampling is not lossless.

with 444 it doesn't need to do subsampling, and should be able to convert
back and forth, or not?

> x264's lossless mode can only store the information it is given.

With -qp 0 it should be "near lossless" shouldn't it?

> If you want to store RGB video losslessly using x264 through ffmpeg you
> will have to use the codec libx264rgb.
>
> Trying to control what swscale does is a lost cause.  Perhaps that has
> been improved since what I learned ~5 years ago and you can actually
> control colour range and colour matrix.
>
> Anything else?

That's it, thanks!
-roger-