[FFmpeg-user] maintaining ffserver output during a sequence / GOP splicing

Julian Shutt diddlysquatrapop at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 17:53:13 CEST 2014

Hello

I would like to stream transport stream files and live sources back-to-back
in a playlist using ffserver.  I would like to do this to create a
streaming channel.

I am successfully encoding files in a rudimentary sequence with
ffmpeg/ffserver, but my ignorance means I am suffering in two ways,

 - ffserver's output when viewed using ffplay or VLC is not maintained
during the transition between files or live streams (it glitches)
 - I do not believe that GOP splicing is occurring

The way I am currently providing inputs to to the ffserver feed is simply
iterating through a list of commands e.g.,

ffmpeg -i input1.ts http://localhost:8090/feed1.ffm
ffmpeg -i input2.ts http://localhost:8090/feed1.ffm
ffmpeg -i input3.ts http://localhost:8090/feed1.ffm

Would someone be able to advise me or point me towards info on any of the
following,
 - is there a way to maintain ffserver's streaming output during
transitions? an ffserver or ffmpeg function?
 - is there a way to perform GOP closing / splicing if I am cutting between
streaming sources?

I would welcome recommendations of ways to drive the sequence of inputs to
ffserver, I am comfortable with Perl and Ruby (ish) and would welcome any
recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your help.

julian